View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009   #32
gstarr

Default Re: What is better, LCD or Plasma?

I have two LCD HDTV's --a Sony 40" and a Samsung LED/ LCD 55". I also have a Pioneer Elite 60" plasma.

Most of the energy usage edge on current LCD's and plasma's goes to LCD's. Often not by much and sometimes but over 100 watts. But if a 100 watt light bulb causes heat problems in your room, you definitley have ventilation problems. Many people have powerful amps and receivers in the same rooms, which crank out far more wattage.

If you are buying a Prius to save money on gas costs, don't expect it to have the handling and accelerating perfformance of many similarly priced cars.

When I shop for an HDTV I am definitely shopping for performance.

I definitely prefer the Pioneer plasma over the other two LCD and LED/ LCD sets. But the Samsung is an excellent set, which just a couple of flaws that become apparent on certain passages.

These days the plasma models from Panasonic are almost at the same level as the Pioneers and the large 50" and higher plasmas are usually considerably cheaper.

Sadly, most showrooms are terribl;e places to jusge HDTV's, as the lighting is usually far brighter than anyone ever watches tv at. This is beneficial to LCD's as they can be turned up very bright, even though you would never want to watch the tv at those levels at home.

As is the case in everything in life, your budget often plays a huge role in what you buy.

I could be wrong on this, but if you or others in your family play hours of video games, I would likely go with LCD's.

If you are an extreme videophile I would still buy a Pioneer or one of the better-new THX Panasonic plasma's. But there is much to be said of the expensive Samsung LED backlit and edgelit LCD's. Same is true of Sony and some of the smaller sized Panasonics (in both LCD and plasma).

Greg
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote