View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009   #13
GrtGrfx

Default Re: Are cables the weak link in your system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stereo View Post
Well, apparently at 50 you bypassed getting educated on what it is that cables do and how they can contribute to the signal as the signal passes through them. Ever heard of speed-rated HDMI cables? Ever wonder why you get to a certain length after which virtually every manufacturer says it won't guarantee signal? Wait, it's just digital!!! But bottomline, if you enjoy your Vizio by way of $3 cables, then live it up. Careful though, I hear that tornados are hell on the trailer park you live in, and I'd hate you to lose your Vizio TV, $3 cables, and all that cheezwhiz in your minifridge.
That's a crap response. If you have a 6' HDMI cable (I do) and compare it to any other 6' cable, you get the same 1s and 0s on the other end. This discussion is NOT about signal loss. Further, while I think Vizio product is pretty amazing for the price, and it's rude of you to denigrate them for their accomplishments, I am more than happy to watch on my Panasonic industrial plasma. I happen to know how to calibrate a TV signal, because, duh, you CAN tell the difference between a blown-out TV fresh from the big-box store and a calibrated set that you watch in a dim room. But HDMI cables, not so much.

And nope, never heard of speed-rated cables, sounds like Monster voodoo economics to me. If you want to talk about HDMI 1.2 vs. 1.3 or even the new 1.4 standards for 3D (which some enterprising manufacturer has already announced for sale even before the defining HDMI body has even implemented TESTS), go right ahead. But cable companies are selling snake oil, and you, my friend, are lining up to buy it.

Finally, if you've ever lived through a natural disaster, (and I fondly remember the last big earthquake in West Los Angeles in, oh, '94) you wouldn't bring THAT up either. Get off my lawn!!

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote