View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009   #16
AnthemDBA

Default Re: Is Blu-Ray worth it with a 720P plasma?

I have a 720p Panasonic plasma with a Panasonic BluRay player. BluRay on 720p is most definitely worth the investment many times over. In fact, I use this setup as a demo system in one of my demo rooms. Anytime someone comes to see it they are absolutely blown away by the picture and sound quality. Keep in mind that some BluRay movies are better than others. So some may look only slightly better than an upconverted DVD, but that has nothing to do with the question of 720p vs.1080p. If you have a decent 720p television that has been properly setup then 95% the time you will not be able to tell the difference vs. 1080p. As far as television broadcasts go there are still very very very few television stations that broadcast in 1080p (in the US). The vast majority of television stations in the US broadcast in 720p or 1080i, which is then upcoverted.

As far as going with the very high end players vs. a more reasonably priced player it all depends on your standards. Will there be a big difference in PQ/AQ between a $2000 Denon and a $500 Panasonic? The answer is no. Under the right conditions there will be a difference, but it will not be a night and day difference. Many of my colleagues and clients use $400-$600 Panasonic players for their reference systems and I have never once heard a complaint oe desire to upgrade. On the other hand what improvement those higher-end players do bring may be worth the money to YOU. And, just because you don't have a 1080p television now does not mean you won't someday.
AnthemDBA is offline   Reply With Quote