View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009   #87
ChiefTK

Default Re: ML 502 Media Console

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stereo View Post
The $8,000 Classe SSP-800 blows it away. Not even close. Did a direct comparison in the same system. Had a customer return his D2 to get a Classe because the Classe sounds so much better (he concurs after having it in his system). The Classe was intended to be released at around $11,000 retail, but they made a strategic decision to release it at $8,000 to make it more price competitive with the D2s of the world. If you're a spec hunter and feature guy, get the D2. If it needs to be really really expensive to make you feel it's truly high end, get the 502. If you want the best sounding surround processor in the world, get the SSP-800 and with your saved money, get real cables and power conditioning.
Does the recently released Classé SSP-800 yet decode Dolby HD and DTS-MA? I heard this unit at a Kansas City audio dealer's showroom a few months ago and it did not decode the HD codecs. I was advised that Classé was having a difficult time getting the chipset they needed to provide this audio feature.

Would there be any difference between the D2v and SSP-800 using the processor's pass-through capability? I inquire about this since I prefer to use the DAC's in my Esoteric for CD and SACD.

I have ordered the Anthem but am seriously tempted to cancel it based on your information. You've listened to each processor back-to-back in a static system. I've got to respect that.
ChiefTK is offline   Reply With Quote