Thread: CD vs Vinyl
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009   #65
tleddy@earthlink.net

Default Analogue tape recordings

In my above post I compared the common playback media.

Now, there are some that have had the experience of listening to half-track, 15 ips master tapes. I have had opportunity to compare some classical choir performances (Oberlin College Choir) that I made in the early '70s with the album the school produced using my master tapes. (I used Blumlein configuration ribbon mics for the recording).

Sadly, the vinyl was poorly produced with the highs truncated by compression; none-the-less, the vinyl was decent but certainly not great. It did, however, give the opportunity to compare the two media and, to the extent that one can recall a live performance, the "real" event.

Let me state this: NOTHING REPRODUCED REALLY COMES CLOSE TO A LIVE MUSICAL PERFORMANCE!!!

In my opinion, master analogue tape are the closest we are going to get to the real thing... digital master tapes are significantly less of an approximation. These are then followed, in quality of reproduction as in my post above.

I am anxious to hear an analogue master tape transferred to Blu-Ray for audio only... if any have heard such, please let me know the source.
tleddy@earthlink.net is offline   Reply With Quote