View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009   #34
GrtGrfx

Default Re: What cables do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLadely View Post
Snipped...I viewed a double blind test of vodkas not long ago, which included some super expensive vodkas. One man asserted that Grey Goose was the best and that he would not drink lesser brands. After the testing was done, it turned out that he had actually placed Grey Goose at the very bottom during the test! So much for subjective thinkiing and opinions. People who relied on and adopted subjective opinions were instrumental in preserving and extending the Dark Ages....
Dave Ladely
DaveLadely@aol.com
While I totally agree with Dave's sentiments (I have Blue Jean and Belkin cables, as well as no-name heavy-guage speaker wiring because I'm more concerned with durability than signal accuracy; any wire I have has more than enough bandwidth and accuracy for the specs of my output equipment), I don't believe a vodka-tasting test is an appropriate analogy for scientific testing of frequency response and accurate pass-through of audio information. Asking a bunch of people to taste vodka and arbitrarily decide which one they LIKE THE BEST obviously has nothing more than personal preference as the primary criteria. Further, cherry-picking the most embarrassing result proves nothing about the test as a whole. Nonetheless, best in food and drink depends entirely on who's doing the tasting and what they are grading on.

On the other end of the testing spectrum, if you have various types of wire connected to standardized input and output devices, with a measuring device placed inline, you can see if there's a difference in what comes out the end. If your criteria for winning this test is that there's as little change between the ends as possible, then you can study any combination of interconnects and get a scientific answer. If not, you're deciding which is subjectively better, and you are no better than a guy pulled in off the street and asked, "hey buddy, which vodka tastes best to you?" I'm sure Dave will agree.

EricO

NAD, Denon and Harman Kardon sources, NHT and Panasonic audio and video output

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote