Thread: CD vs Vinyl
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009   #47
rbinck
Administrator

Default Re: CD vs Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by paoloop View Post
Best thing to do is use your ears: you need a (very) good CD player and a (very) good turntable+cartridge {I have both} and listen to the same piece-in parallel; since I didn't believe it, I repeated the experiment with different recordings (Keith Jarret, Koln concert/Bach, Cembalo concerts-Leonhardt//Jony Mitchell, Blue): the net result is: they are on different planets; the LP contains so much more information that really there is no match; this happened with every CD player: less with the Chord64 (which is really astounding for a DAC) than with the Linn, but no match either. It has to be said that you need a good phono pre, since modern pres have a much higher acceptance so you don't hear any more most of the scratches and hisses that were the horrible contour of most LPs. And yes, I also did some comparisons with DVD audios: Lp's were always better (sometimes more, sometimes less). But of course there are the advantages of CDs : the remote, changing tracks while sitting in your armchair, the dead silence of the background...; and one last problem, that many pointed to: it all depends on the recording; with a good turntable you get what's there is: and good recordings are less than 10% ot total recordings (if you have a heavily mixed recording, all messed up and artificial, you don't need an audiophile apparatus to listen to the noise of the mixer!).
So I'd like to make a point: get LPs for audiophile recordings, where you may appreciate all the subtleties (and the real dynamics), and get CD's (or DVDs or BRs) for all other recordings.
First, welcome to the forum.

Not sure what is meant by and the real dynamics. The potential dynamic range of CDs is considerably better than LPs even though it is rarely used. But maybe you meant something else.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote