View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009   #2
Loves2Watch

Default Re: Dialog Intelligibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing a problem with dialog intelligibility with Blu-Ray releases. I find that I have to really crank the volume to make out most movie's dialog but then get blasted away during action sequences. I don't have a similar problem while watching TV (though my guess is most stations compress the audio so you don't have that wide a dynamic range).

I'm running an Integra DTC-9.8 preamp through an Arcam amp (have also used an Anthem amp) to PSB Imagine B speakers. I currently don't have a center channel as it is a small space and no real good place to put one - I do have the preamp set to mix the dialog in with the left and right front speakers (which are bi-amped). I noticed a similar problem when I did have a center channel speaker back when I was running the same electronics with Vienna Acoustic Beethoven with Maestro Center - and I even set the center speaker level higher than the other channels to try and help with it!

Any suggestions?

John
Yes, not having a center channel IS your problem. Add one and your dialog problems will disappear. You will also notice a more rounded out audio presentation. When the center channel info is mixed into the right and left channels, much is missing.
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote