View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009   #17
rex

Default Re: New Panasonic DMP-BD55 for $399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
Are you sure it is a replacement for the BD55?

The CNET review says that it is a "entry level player that replaces the BD35"
I guess you are right. The main difference between the BD35 and the BD55 was the 7.1 analog audio outputs on the BD55. So it would be correct to say that the BD60 replaces the BD35, and the BD80 replaces the BD55. The BD80 has 7.1 analog outputs but you pay an extra $100 or so for this. Personally, if I needed 7.1 analog outputs then I would recommend spending a little more for the Oppo. That way you get better quality, plus all of the bells and whistles, still at a very reasonable price. If you don't need analog outputs, or the other bells and whistles, and want to save some money, you might consider the BD60 or the Sammy BDP- 1600. I should also mention that for roughly the same price as the BD80 (~$350?), you could also get the Samsung BDP-3600 which received CNET's highest score of 4 out of 5 stars. It has 7.1 analog audio outputs, but also has WiFi, PC streaming, Netflix and Pandora streaming, and much more:

Excellent image quality on Blu-ray movies; Wi-Fi USB dongle included; Netflix and Pandora streaming; superfast operational speed and disc loading; Profile 2.0 compatible; onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio; 7.1 analog outputs; 1GB onboard memory; streams media off connected PC. The Samsung BD-P3600 is a huge leap ahead for standalone Blu-ray players, with blazing-fast operational speed, tons of features, and excellent image quality.

http://reviews.cnet.com/video-player...?tag=mncol;lst

Last edited by rex; 05-24-2009 at 12:36 AM..
rex is offline   Reply With Quote