Thread: lcd vs. plasma
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009   #23
rex

Default Re: lcd vs. plasma

rbink,

You are confused about what the problem is with LCD displays. The type of "motion blur" which plagues LCDs has nothing to do with the motion blur apparent on individual frames which results from movement during the inverval of the individual frame. This type of "motion blur" is not eliminated by plasmas, nor should it be, since it is a desirable phenomenon which mimicks the "motion smear" of the human eye's retina, making movement appear more natural. The type of "motion blur" which plagues LCDs is not apparent at all on individual frames but actually occurs inside the human brain as a result of the hold-type rendering method of LCDs. This was first explained to me some time ago by another member of this forum:

"LCD Motion blur is largely caused by the hold-type rendering method of LCDs together with the motion pursuing function of human visual system. This hold-type motion blur happens not on the LCD screens but in human eyes, so it cannot be captured by a still camera and therefore is physiological. Even if response time is reduced to zero, motion-blur will be observed.
So it appears, LCDs don't suffer from motion blur but the brain does." See: http://www.avrev.com/forum/plasma-lc...tion-blur.html

Since this is a physiological phenomenon, some people are much more sensitive to it than others. Similar to "rainbow effects', etc. some people do not seem to see it at all. I, for one, am extremely sensitive to it; and it is very annoying.

Interestingly, since the type of motion blur that occurs within individual frames actually enhances the appearance of motion sequences it is added to high-end computer animation to make the movement seem more natural:

"In real-time computer animation each frame shows a perfect instant in time (analogous to a camera with an infinitely fast shutter), with zero motion blur. This is why a video game with a frame rate of 25-30 frames per second will seem staggered, while natural motion filmed at the same frame rate appears rather more continuous. Many next generation video games feature motion blur, especially vehicle simulation games. In pre-rendered computer animation, such as CGI movies, realistic motion blur can be drawn because the renderer has more time to draw each frame. Temporal anti-aliasing produces frames as a composite of many instants." For more information about this see: http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds3-4/ellen.html

I did not mean to say that LCD displays have no suitable applications; they have many. However, in my opinion, Home Theater is not one of them, given the current state of the technology.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote