View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009   #7
rex

Default Re: How to choose a good and appropriate DVD Ripper for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
I have gone a different way to make my HD movie files that takes about 4 GB per hour instead of the 10 to 15 GB per hour a ripped Blu-ray takes.
rbinck,
Care to share any details?

Personally, I use AnyDVD ( http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html ) to make backups of my movies. Those of you with kids at home already know why this is important! If you remove all of the extra features, a two-hour Blu-ray feature film will fit on one 4.7GB DVD-SL in H.264/AVC at a resolution of 720p with AC-3 audio; of course these can only be played back on a BD player. (BD blanks are still too expensive for me to use them for backups.) You can also make MPEG-2 backups of BD's for playback on regular DVD players without incurring the additional expense of buying a DVD version of your movie. AnyDVD is the only software I am aware of to-date that effectively allows you to defeat the BD+ security of Blu-ray discs. Besides allowing you to rip the movie to your hardrive, you can playback the original disc on non-HDCP compliant monitors/video cards. Very highly recommended for serious HT enthusiasts!
rex is offline   Reply With Quote