View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009   #8
Butch

Default Re: Amazon is having another Blu-ray sale.

I'm with Wes. Why aren't there more new releases being offered on BD?

Can anybody please explain to me why BD titles are $30 and DVD's are $20. Seems like the same plastic disc to me. Why would one cost significantly more than the other? What difference could the content make in the overall cost? It's bits being recorded. I don't find any difference in cost (to me) between burning JPEG's or FLAC to a disc.

Whenever I try to explain to my friends the advantages of Blu-Ray's HD video and uncompressed audio they look at me like I'm some kind of alien. More and more I'm beginning to agree with them. If the majority of the world's consumers agree with them that the HD difference is not worth the extra cost, then I think DVD will continue to be the predominate format for a long time to come.

For me, I don't mind paying more for the hardware, but for them and me; we hate the premiums being placed on the software; especially when the contents are reissues of DVD's we already have. Paying $30 for a 5 year old movie is ridiculous! Amazon sales of hashed and rehashed movies on BD still can't compete with Wal-Mart's $5 pricing for the same on DVD.

If content providers are interested at all in turning profits then they should reissue older material on BD for (older) DVD prices and provide all new releases in BD at prices comparable to those of new DVD releases (Which, IMO is still too damned high).

I purchased my first DVD player in 1999 and I purchased an average of 1 DVD per week up until the announcement of Blu-Ray. Not wanting to increase my collection of soon to be obsolete media, I used the red box at McDonalds for all of my DVD viewing throughout the majority of 2008. I purchased a Blu-Ray player last December and I own a total of 8 BD titles. That's less than half of what I would have purchased had the prices been commensurate with that of DVD. I just can't seem to get past the sticker shock.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote