View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007   #8
kingofgrills

Default Re: Playstation 3 Review

I've had a PS3 since launch, and it has been an incredible machine. I bought it with both PS3 games and Blu-ray playback in mind, and that made the price a relative bargain. Finding out that the PS3 also offers good SACD playback as well made it a great universal player for me.

The PS3 has turned out to be a much better Blu-ray player than I thought it would ever be. Visually, the 1080p picture detail and color saturation on my Sony Grand Wega 50" SXRD rear projector has been nothing short of incredible. For audio, I currently run the PS3 through a Yamaha HTR-5960 7.1 channel receiver in my home theater room. It sounds great, but that is through a digital optical connector for surround sound, and a two channel Monster analog connection for SACD playback.

Although the PS3 sound through the Yamaha's 192khz/24 bit Burr Brown DACS is great, I'm looking to upgrade to a Yamaha with an HDMI connection to take advantage of multi-channel SACD audio as well as the new lossless audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.

My questions is this: Does the PS3 decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, or do I need a receiver with built in decoders? Yamaha is just getting ready to release receivers with those decoders built in, but if the PS3 does it already I can buy an HDMI 1.3 equipped Yamaha receiver right now. I've checked all the sources I can for the PS3, and all I've found is conflicting information on the subject of PS3 surround decoding, if I find anything at all.

If someone could give me a definitive answer on this one, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
kingofgrills is offline   Reply With Quote