View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009   #7
rbinck
Administrator

Default Re: Confuse to buy TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsavoie View Post
Not exactly the info on the specific models I asked for,but thanks just the same.By the way,it seems that I have never seen a good TV station picture from any LCD or Plasma TV sets displayed in the stores,but when a DVD movie is shown,it looks great.As you probably have guessed it by now,I own neither an LCD or Plasma TV yet.Forgive my ignorance,but is this normal.Are TV signals just not up to par yet with the HD part of these new TV'S,or are the old regular TV'S superior to the plasma and LCD TV'S in that aspect.Just wondering.Did I miss something.
I think what you are seeing is mainly a difference in size. Anytime you blow up a 640x480 SD picture to the size of most HDTV sets, you are going to see artifacts. If you want more info on this see: Poor SD On HDTVs

Also there is another phenomenon that is in your head. When a SD picture is displayed on a HDTV the difference in pixels must be "made up" by the video scaler. Different HDTVs will have various degrees of accuracy here. The fact is your brain is much better at "filling in" the missing detail than most video processors.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote