Thread: SACD Worth IT?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008   #2
JohnB

Default Re: SACD Worth IT?

I would say it depends on a number of factors, for me I've just haven't found it to be worth it. One reason is I simply don't find there to be a wealth of music available in the format that excites me (definitely a personal preference, your taste in music probably differs so you may find plenty of stuff you like). Secondly, I just don't know that I have a system (or maybe it is listening habits) that really allow me to take advantage of the increased resolution.

That being said, I have had "wow" moments with SACD - especially Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, when I put that on with my full surround set-up it really blows me away.

As for finding SACD's, that can be a tough one, just finding a record store these days seems tough enough! But there are good resources online, I've used Acoustic Sounds (I think that is their name) and Amazon to buy the 5 or 6 SACD's that I own and I look out there occasionally to see if there is something new to get. Of course I haven't done that in a while, I vaguely remember the price turning me off a bit, maybe if I spent more time with dedicated listening rather than listening while doing other things I might have great appreciation.

Just my 2 cents based on my own listening habits and equipment. Just as a reference I use an Oppo universal player connected via HDMI to an Integra pre-amp with Arcam amp and Vienna Acoustic speakers, I also live in an apartment so am limited in my ability to really crank things.

I think it would be worth trying to find a disc you like and give it a whirl, you might find those wow moments are much more frequent than they have been for me.

John
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote