View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007   #27
Enoch

Default Re: Chime in on my debate with AIX Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
Sorry... but I still disagree with this "Hi-rez or nothing" approach to building a collection of music recordings.

To me, "Hi-Rez" should mean "the best sound quality possible for faithfully delivering the original masters", as opposed to, "the most advanced high-tech recordings only."

Yes, everything has improved since DSOTM was recorded... better mics, better mic pre-amps, advanced digital sampling, more accurate d-to-a's, etc.

However, many GREAT recordings like DSOTM, offer something that many state-of-the-art new recordings do not... great MUSIC.

Therefore, I will forever stand by my preference for the industry to support "the best of BOTH worlds":

* Re-master and re-release the older recordings, with the finest new technology.

PLUS

* Create and promote new "original" recordings with the finest technology on the market.

Peace out.

DD
But you can not inject what is not there. With an old master, there's only so much you can get. no more. It reminds me of the teenage kid who asks if transcoding his mp3 collection into another codec like OGG of FLAC will be better. Would it? of course not, it would only increase his file size by a factor of 5 or more.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote