View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008   #10
wes

Cool Re: DTS MA DD TruHD and BDP-S550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Junky View Post
The table on page 66 shows what the player outputs for each format, for each output method. If you look at the HDMI column, it states "LPCM 7.1" for almost every format. That means it is output in LPCM through the HDMI interface.
But the he fine print (*5) state the following "When BD audio setting is set to "Direct" audio recorded by the source is output by bitstream.

- Receiver doesn't support any of the new codec but support MultiChannel LPCM then up to 7.1 ch is output

- Receiver doesn't support HD or Multi ch LPCM then DD and DTS bitstream is output

Quote:
Look, however, at the "Multi Channel Output" column. It simply states 7.1. Assuming the graph is accurate, it seems that the only way to truely get a lossless decoding from the player, for instance DTS Master HD, is through it's analog outputs. You would assume that DTS Master HD decoded signal would still be better than regular DTS, but I can't really speak to it as I have always had a receiver that did the decoding.
Analogue Multi Channel Output: 7.1 does that mean LPCM loosless format or compressed format?

Quote:
It's not really straightforward, but if you get a receiver/preamp that does the decoding and handle it through the bitstream method, it seems to work every time.
Agreed so I need to get a new receiver so I will know for sure when I see the DD tru HD or DTS Master Audio come up on the receiver?
wes is offline   Reply With Quote