View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008   #7
tc4all

Default Re: Best Sounding Speakers According to Scientific Tests

Many will love this type of test but I find it does less good then harm. First, my room and yours are not the same. Second, you have not or maybe have not tested dozens of brands I would or should be interested in. Third, your or even the group's hearing is probably not the same as mine. You have no idea where I may or may not have a drop out in my hearing spectrum. If I bought the same speakers but used different amps and cables my sound would be different. and on and on ...
All you will really establish with this is that for this group of speakers, with these cables and electronics, in this type of room with this type of construction and this furniture and this number of people of this size in the room, etc. XYZ speakers sound best. Seriously, this is a royal time killer that proves nothing.

There are, for argument sake, let us say 100 different speakers with a model over $30,000. (This would be the same for budget speakers but is more understandable like this.) That is a lot. No matter how we test, we can not decide which is best. Each was probably designed on a no holds barred idea to get what is, according to that manufacturer and the ears and instruments used to test it, the best possible sound ... period. If there was a "best one" everyone in that price market would buy it and the others would go under. That doesn't happen. 50 people will probably pick at least 20 different models they think are best. WE all hear differently and like different sounds. Some find bright wonderful and believe in it as more detail. Others like bass. Others want the sound to thrill them while others think it best when it lulls them into a sense of total relaxation. (By the way, Pink Floyd is so over processed that to use it to judge is a mistake, no matter how much you like the music.)

OK, so what good is a test like this. It is fun and fun reading, but for goodness sake, never, ever, read comparison test results like these and make even a cursory decision about what to buy, based on this. Go listen, borrow, take time and judge. Read about what is good, but not shoot-outs. Remember that listening to music for 5 or 6 hours is very different then listening for 1/2 hour. I say this specifically relating to the mention of Magies, but is equally relevent to others.

Buying speakers is a very personal process and to short change yourself by letting someone else do the, even cursory, cuts of the group for you is not a good idea. IN another but equally bad way, that is no better then reading advertisement hype and believing it.

One note about scientific tests. A man fills a glass with 1/2 Vodka and 1/2 water. He drinks it and gets drunk. Later he fills a glass with 1/2 Gin and 1/2 water, drinks it and gets drunk. The next day he fills a glass with 1/2 bourbon and 1/2 water, drinks it and gets drunk. His scientific conclusion is that the water is making him drunk. There is much more then meets the eye. Don't look for quick answers.

Last edited by tc4all; 10-16-2008 at 02:56 PM..
tc4all is offline   Reply With Quote