View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008   #74
Duckmcdaffy

Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjmwj View Post
Had a bad experience this summer with my DQ10's. I've had them new since 1977 and have taken very good care of them. Woofers have been re-foamed. I don't listen to them all the time and swap them out with several other speakers I own. My system is in the basement and I store them in an unfinished area.

The area I store them in is next to the hot water heater. Long story short, one of the copper pipes at the top sprung three pin hole leaks. The leaks shot straight across the room and SMACK DAB INTO THE DQ10'S. Looking at the amount of water the leak must have been going on for a couple of days. They are ruined.

What's bad is I had the other pipe replaced a month earlier with the same issue only it missed them. Foolishly I did not move them.

Also lost a Denon turntable, the rose wood base model, a Yamaha integrated amp from 1976, and a Nakamicki cassette deck from 1978. I don't care about the exlectronics, but I feel like I lost my youth when the DQ10's were destroyed.
I share your sorrow. If I lost any of my gear I would be devastated. Most of it is now irreplaceable. And certainly all the vinyl could never be replaced. One very important point to consider is that you should NEVER keep your equipment (of any type including "program" material (vinyl/CD's, tapes and etc.)) in an unfinished, uncontrolled environment. The temperature and humidity variations will destroy it all in a very short time. Metal will corrode and rust and timber will warp and split. Speaker cones and surrounds will rot and decay. Please take it all out of there. PLEASE!

I have just purchased a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 Quiet Point noise cancelling headphones. Whilst they sound reasonable and are absolutely fantastic for travel, they are NOT high fidelity. The electronic processing ensures this.

For my listening at home, I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-7's purchased in 1981. The original electret version. And they are extraordinarily good. I rate them above the Stax electrostatic Earspeakers I tried before I bought the A-T's. I sometimes use them instead of running the speakers. I also have a Jecklin Float Model 1 headphone purchased in 1989. They may not be the most attractive looking, but they sound awesome. Both are worthy of "classic gear" status not only for their design and engineering but also for for their sheer audio reproduction quality.

I said in my very fist post that the only other "wet dream" piece of equipment that I would want for was a pair of Apogee Scintilla's. I will now add to that Sennheiser's truly superlative benchmark Orpheus headphones. I listened to a pair belonging to a friend recently. Words fail me to describe how truly and utterly brilliant these are. I know I shall never own a set as they sell for around $20,000+ and they are not being manufactured any more so there will never be any more.

Enjoy the music.

Last edited by Duckmcdaffy; 10-05-2008 at 11:34 PM..
Duckmcdaffy is offline   Reply With Quote