View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008   #35
meatyb0y

Default Re: Turntable shopping.. any help?

"Beside the fact that vinyl is stuck in the past and good SACD DSD are still better sound than vinyl. "

I must respectfully disagree that "good SACD DSD" sounds better than vinyl. I have a very good SACD player (Linn Unidisk SC) and a very good turntable (Linn LP12/Ekos/Van den Hull Frog Mk.2, Linn Linto phone pre), and I've heard the Krell Evolution SACD, Linn Unidisk 1.1, and Ayre SACD players. None of these sounded better than vinyl, just more like vinyl than like CD.

You are correct about the price though - spinning vinyl at that level is pricey!

But you should also consider the amount of vinyl available vs. SACD. The SACD catalogue is getting VERY thin, with a lot of audiophile approved junk being released. On the other hand, there is a lot of vinyl being issued/reissued, and there are a lot of used LP's to be had. Even Circuit City has over 10K vinyl titles available online for ordering, but < 2,400 SACD titles.

As much as I love SACD, I suspect that DSD is the format that is headed for historical oblivion before vinyl gets there. It's a shame really. I'll take any high resolution format I can get my hands on - vinyl, DVD-Audio, SACD, WMA or FLAC lossless at 24 bit, etc.!
meatyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote