View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008   #133
fitzcaraldo215

Default Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
While I agree to a point, I must say, having had DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD in my system, they can not be discredited. I am also a person who requires solid MC analog performance from my system, and as such, having gone through some of the 'mid fi' pre/pros, want, nay NEED a solid unit for analog!

This is becoming more important as I have gotten a TT now and have been recently smitten by the lure of analog..... From the shopping for it in the worlds largest vinyl store that happens to be seven miles from my home (www.musicfinder.com), to cleaning to the laid back presentation of the format, I am digging it!!!!!!!

KT
Kenny - if vinyl's your current thing and cost is no object, then I will say what I have said many times before: you gotta get a separate analog line stage with HT pass-through. That, or else totally separate systems. I do not think it is possible to get the best multichannel + analog in one single package, any package. There is the risk that all the EMI/RFI inside the mostly digital pre/pro, any pre/pro, will degrade the analog. So, a 2 channel line stage which is isolated from all the digital circuits by pure analog connections in and out is the optimum way to go for analog.

Even if you invest $30K in the new Krell, which is supposed to have all the latest codecs plus pristine analog totally isolated from all digital, the potential obsolescence factor can kill you. You will have invested big dollars in the inseparable digital plus expensive analog capability. The resale will, however, be driven primarily only by having the latest digital technology -codecs, etc. The digital technology side is moving very fast, while analog improvements occur very slowly. Plus, that Krell baby is huge - ugly, too, in my opinion. There is not going to be much rack space saved by putting everything in this one monster chassis.

But, I have also got to say, with 50 years of vinyl experience and a huge record collection, if the closest approach to the sound of live music is your thing, vinyl at its extreme best cannot compare to hi-rez multichannel, IMHO. In my case, you know that means a lowly, for the masses, Integra DTC 9.8 via HDMI to an Oppo 980 at under $2,000 - a fraction of what my vinyl setup cost. And, I have heard much better vinyl setups than mine. This stands the whole analog high-end audio paradigm, with spiraling, out-of-control costs, on its head. I find that exciting, too. It's about time, I say.

There is some really great music on vinyl, which is not available anywhere else. But, unlike you, perhaps I have gotten my rocks off on vinyl many times over. I am now much more interested in looking to the future and not to the past for the very best in realistic musical sound. To me, that means hi rez multichannel and not analog 2-channel.

Last edited by fitzcaraldo215; 08-30-2008 at 05:41 PM..
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote