View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008   #130
kennyt

Default Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stereo View Post
And if you want to buy a receiver that decodes TrueHD and DTS-HD instead of a pre/pro like the SSP-800 (which will do that in time), which will SOUND better playing back VHS Hi-Fi tapes with Dolby Pro-Logic to say nothing of standard DD and DTS on DVD and blu-ray, than a receiver playing the new formats on blu-ray, then that is your perogative. It never ceases to amaze that people will bypass genuine quality for the flavor of the month. While you're on your 8th receiver, which will need to be replaced when the HDMI spec changes, or a new surround format is introduced, or the new "must have" feature comes around, etc., owners of products like the SSP-800 will be laughing that their overall expenditure is lower and their sound quality is STILL better.
While I agree to a point, I must say, having had DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD in my system, they can not be discredited. I am also a person who requires solid MC analog performance from my system, and as such, having gone through some of the 'mid fi' pre/pros, want, nay NEED a solid unit for analog!

This is becoming more important as I have gotten a TT now and have been recently smitten by the lure of analog..... From the shopping for it in the worlds largest vinyl store that happens to be seven miles from my home (www.musicfinder.com), to cleaning to the laid back presentation of the format, I am digging it!!!!!!!

KT
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote