View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008   #97
fitzcaraldo215

Default Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
If you want the new processing now, if you are buying your Blu-Ray player right now, I think you have to move towards the Integra, Denon arena. They have the products and codecs today, so, you will get the best that is currently available. And kenny, your reviews bear this out.

So, until, as you said this all does stabilize, that is what you do. Of course, if you want to sit back and wait, that is on you. Or as I like to say, that sounds like a personal issue!!!

But, also as you pointed out in your review of the Denon`s, is there ANY pre/pro out there to date, that has all the current processing and connections, and also sounds great for audio as well???
You know me well from this forum by now, and you already know what I think. But, I'll say it again anyway. I absolutely do not see how anyone can go wrong with the Integra. It's what I have been using since last November. Excuse me if I gloat about having all the lastest essential features, while the hi-hi enders do not. But, coming from, once again, a reference grade 2-channel system costing 8 x as much, I am not wanting for sound quality at all. In fact, in multichannel, it's the best sound I have ever heard by a whole lot. Perhaps not for CD or vinyl. On vinyl, I would not consider using the Integra built-in phono stage. With an external phono stage, it's not the greatest 2-channel line stage in the world, but it's more than adequate. With h-rez multichannel, it's simply fabuloso.

Is the Denon significantly better? Dunno, I' ve never heard it. Nor have I seen a review of the 2 units side-by-side. But, how much better can it be? How much better must it be to justify 4-5 times the price? Excuse me if I do not get the point about all the extra channels it has pushing up the cost. Do I see a need to bi-amp my main channels when I already have a sub? No, I can't see that it's worth it to me. Is there a major advantage to multiple sub-outs when a Y-cable would suffice? If there is, I am not seeing it.

Kenny likes the Anthem with ARO EQ, though it lacks HDMI 1.3. I have seen other reviews of the Anthem (without ARO) side-by side against the Integra, and the Integra was slightly preferred. The point is for $1,600, the Integra seems arguably to be competitive with some of the best. It has got to go down as one of the greatest steals in all of audio history.

It's still in huge demand, so resale is not going to be an issue. The new DTC 9.9, when it appears, seems to be an incremental upgrade adding a few non-essential bells and whistles. But, I could be wrong about that.

Plus, you can upgrade it to Audyssey PRO and really make it sing. To me, it's a no-brainer. I do not have a millisecond's regret for having bought it.
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote