View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008   #75
kennyt

Default Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post
Kal has also recently reviewed the only other player which will output SACD via HDMI - the Pioneer Elite DV58($500). Kal prefers this with DSD out rather than PCM, and he thinks it is the best sounding of the 4. This machine has become hot since Kal's review. I am awaiting one from my dealer for audition. This might be worth an upgrade, and my 980 can always become a second DVD player.

By the way, Kal is great. He's probably the best multichannel reviewer for music out there. While I quibble with his choice of DSD vs. PCM out, I am in total agreement with his review of the Integra pre/pro. I got mine about a month before his review appeared after listening to a cross section of much more expensive pre/pro's.
I give Kal the props he deserves, and if you read his Music in the Round in this month Stereophile, you'll see he agrees completely with me about the D2 being significantly better than the DTC 9.8. Not trying to toot my own horn, but since you so revere him, I thought you should at least see he and I are completely on the same page.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote