View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008   #65
fitzcaraldo215

Default Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfslai View Post
Has anyone heard anything about the new Marantz processor. It does quite has as many features as the denon but it's about half the price. I'm so tempted to get this as a machine to bridge me over til the high end manufacturers get their act together.

I have not heard it. Compared to the Integra DTC 9.8, it costs $1,000 more and has an RJ-45 jack for network connection, which the 9.8 lacks. Apparently the Integra DTC 9.9 will have that in a fw months. What it lacks that the Integra has is one less 12 volt trigger(minor). There is no mention of the video processing Marantz uses. Integra uses the highly regarded REON chip.

The biggest difference in specs is that the Marantz has only Audyssey MultEQ for 6 mike position calibration. The Integra (and the Denon) have MultEQ XT for 8 position calibration and greater accuracy in the filter calculations. MultEQ XT is also upgradeable to Audyssey Pro - up to 32 mike positions and even greater accuracy of the filters - in these units. The Marantz' Audyssey is not upgradeable.

This Audyssey capability, which I think is crucial in today's HT systems, makes me think the Integra is the much better buy. I have owned the Integra since last year, and I think it's great. I have upgraded to Audyssey PRO, and it is significantly better than MultEQ XT. So, for my money, the Marantz is of no interest. But, it's your pocketbook and opinion that matters.
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote