View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008   #58
fitzcaraldo215

Default Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
fitzcaraldo215,

I was thinking about this today and I came on something.

Is this the first time you've had SACD??? If so, I can totally see how you'd find the new setup to rock your world, the step up from CD and even often analog to SACD is huge!! I am not saying this to pick on you, it just hit me this might be your first good multichannel, Hi-Rez experience, in which case I see why you feel as you do.

To elaborate a bit further, once I heard of the Norwegian symphonies release of Developmenti, I immediately bought a copy, and as one of the first people to order it, the copy I got was the one that came with a Blu-ray audio disc in DTS HD MA, as well as a hybrid SACD/CD copy, which I unfortunately received after submitting the Denon review (deadlines can be a bitch, especially when they sometimes get moved up!) The Blu-ray audio in DTS HD MA was unbelievable. It smoked my Esoteric DV-50s with the SACD, which bested the Denon 5910CI on the same disc in that rig, but I still prefer the Anthem D2 for it's imaging and separation on the SACD with either player.

I know people love the Denon, and don't get me wrong, I think I gave it a very favorable review, and it deserves it as well as it deserves an award from AVRev.com for what it brings to the market place, and I am sure you will see it on the gear we love list this year, but what is best for you depends on your use. In a dedicated HT, I would likely not recommend anything else now, but for a combined system for music and movies, I might not pick it as there are better units for audio.

KT
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote