View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008   #13
Lefisc

Default Re: Not sure what to buy (Levinson 502, Meridian G Series other)

Jerry:

I have just purchased the Mark Levinson 502, it is due any day now. I had had a lot of trouble with my ML 40 and HK made me a offer I could not refuse, so to speak.

I will be using it with the ML 32 pre amp and the Krell Evolution 600 amps into Thiel 7.2 speakers.

The Krell 707 unit had some interesting things not yet put in according to my salesperson. He said that a audio update was due soon (what did it need to update), his email quote was, “hd audio processing upgrade for the Krell was around the corner” and that the new machine doesn’t upscale to 1080p, nor to 1080i on an HDMI input.

The Krell has a lot of buttons on the front but they are very small and since this machine will be used mostly in the dark that is a problem. Traditionally the Krell units do not sound as well (to me) as many other brands, they are not as warm. Tinny is a very bad word to use her, but the highs are not smooth to me in Krell.

But I will let you know what happens.

By the way, I am having a unpleasant time with the Krell dealer. He told me that Blu ray was not successful, it was (an these are his words) like “Beta” I should buy a good processor without any concerns about blu-ray AND I should now get an expensive Esoteric DVD player because, of course, blu ray is failing.
Lefisc is offline   Reply With Quote