View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008   #4
prerich

Default Re: Home Theater Manufacturers Tout Upconversion Over Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Agreed.

Not only is the picture quality advantage of native HD material superior to upscaled DVD (especially given the low-bit-rate MPEG2 on DVD compared to high-bit-rate advanced video codecs on Blu-ray... which makes a enormous improvment all on its own), but the lossless audio that's basically standard on Blu-ray Releases these days utterly STOMPS the socks off of the lossy DVD audio by comparison.

Not even close. Even if the picture were no different, I'd invest in Blu-ray merely for the lossless sound. It's that good.

If Oppo makes that player a 2.0 unit, I'd be very interested. Otherwise, I'll keep my PS3 for SD DVD playback (great upscaling) and enjoy the new Panny BD50 for BD playback which exceeds the PS3 in both picture and sound quality.
What I have a tendency to run into are people who play BD's on sub-standard systems, and brag about BD's Lossless audio capabilities - whereas, lossy on a good system sounds better than lossless on a bad system. (We've discussed this on the BD board extensively and those who've answered agree. I'm not saying that you need a $10k system to enjoy lossless audio, but at the same time lossy will sound better on that system than lossless on a $700.00 Onkyo 606 Polk Rm6750 setup. Lots of factors in sound. All things being equal - lossless does sound better (on decent systems - I can't tell on HTIB type systems).

Last edited by prerich; 07-21-2008 at 09:50 AM..
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote