View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008   #21
kennyt

Default Re: Sony Ships New BDP-S300 Blu-ray Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFileZ View Post
I found out later that you had to activate the optical by using the remote and working through a menu to get to it. When I did this it the Toslink worked. I had another problem which apparently Sony designed into the player. It would not recognize any BD-RE discs burned on my Sony Vaio vgn-ar290g laptop. This was the tipping factor. I took the player back to Costco. I eventually got one of the Toshiba hd-2a players from WallyWorld when they had them for $97...This one has really good up-conversion, better even than the Sony. The Tosh is a keeper.

A bit later I also purchased the Samsung dual-player model BD-P5000. It has pretty good up-conversion (though I feel the Toshiba bests it even). I like the BD-P5000 a lot and have found only one kink in the armor. It doesn't like homemade burned DVD+Rs...At least it doesn't like the TDK ones I normally use. It will play over half the disc trouble-free at which time it starts freezing, advancing, freezing, advancing, etc, etc... I then have to take the disc out of the Samsung and put it in the Toshiba which plays it flawlessly. By having to do this so many times I ended up convincing myself that the Toshiba also has the better up-conversion. I wonder if anyone else who may have both thinks this too?
Dude,

You DO realize HD DVD LOST right???

Spending money on any HD DVD player is wasting cash nowadays.

Sure, they are cheap now, and so are the now totally finite # of HD DVD discs out, but their will never be any more, so take every one back you can, either that or go look for a good laser disc player to buy!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote