View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008   #2
kennyt

Default Re: Is Sunfire TGP5 worth it, or should I get better pre/pro?

Hey Jeff,

Welcome to the forum!

I would have added that you'd kick yourself for not buying the 5400 (or 7400) as those B&W N803's really like power. Will a good pre help? Yes, but if two channel is your goal, the Sunfire is pretty good, but something like the Proceed AVP could be had even cheaper and will do a better job for two channel, I find the Bryston gear to be a tad bright for my tastes, and with the Sunfire amp and B&W's already, it would be overkill to me, but YMMV and you have to trust your ears. Classe' and B&W are voiced together and used for many studios and are a good match, I've never had the Cary 11 in my home, but have heard great things about it.

Now, the Sunfire is by far the easiest pre/pro to set up in the world. That said, regardless of how hard it is to set up, you usually only do it once, and modify for upgrades, so this is not too important.

When it comes to the DV-50s, your spot on there! I use one, and got Jim Swantko, another of our writers to buy one, great player for the cash, but if you are looking to do this cheaply, look for a DV-50 without the 's'. The 's' only added DVI-D progressive (480p) output, and added $500 to the cost, the audio circuits are identical to the DV-50s.....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote