View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008   #3
CharlyD

Default Re: Marantz Pre/Pro combo

A press release announcing the availability of the Marantz AV8003 A/V Preamp and the MM8003 Power Amp appeared on the CE Pro site (http://www.cepro.com/article/marantz...003_power_amp/) this morning. The Marantz site does not include the press release, but does include downloadable user manuals with full specifications for these devices. The AV8003 has an extensive feature set including scaling by Anchor Bay, HDMI 1.3a compatibility with the Dolby and DTS HD codecs as well as DLNA compatibility supporting streaming of audio, video and images.

I was quite disappointed, however, to discover that streaming of hi-resolution audio (at least 2 channels of at least 88.2kHz/24-bit audio) is not supported. As I've complained about before, it makes no sense to me that these major A/V vendors (Integra, Denon, Onkyo and now Marantz) are introducing these very feature-rich processor/receivers but do not include support for streaming of hi-resolution audio. These devices include all the necessary processing including DACs supporting up to 192kHz/24-bit audio as well as a TCP/IP stack. On nearly a weekly basis, the list of sites offering download of Hi-Res audio files is becoming longer yet there are only a few devices (outside of PC's with appropriate sound cards) that can process these files. I am certain that the market for downloadable hi-res audio files could be much larger than delivery via Blu-Ray disks. What am I missing here?

Last edited by CharlyD; 06-13-2008 at 12:09 PM..
CharlyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links