View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008   #6
The Kipnis Studios

Exclamation Re: This Is Not a Test: Calibrate Your HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Miller View Post
That New York Times article is probably the most irresponsible journalism I have ever seen in my life. There isn't an accurate fact in the entire piece, and it is one of the worst written articles I have ever read. What a Jackass that guy is.
Well, I think that's a little bit harsh. At least he brings light to a relatively unknown (most people) area of improvement.

Personally, (as a Professional photographer and Cinematographer) I have been calibrating film prints, slides, & video (35mm, 70mm, 6 x 9, 4 x 4, 8 x 10, CRTs) since 1970. Most people have no idea what actual accuracy looks like, and they don't expect it (if they can tell the difference) from movies, television, computers, or still photography.

This is largely because these art-forms have deteriorated over the last 1/2 century to become consumer commodities. Thirty years ago, PhotoMat became one of the leading film processing facilities for peoples snap-shots, with a drive up drop off booth. When they started, I believe they used KODAK. Later, they would do all work in house - with less than consistent results. Now, you can go to the drug store and it is the same thing.

If, on the other hand, you send all your actual film to KODAK (today), they are still nearly 100% accurate (within certain limits). And this is now comparable to using an automated SPYDER or other pod measuring system to calibrate video. These are accurate to within 96-98% of what can actually be achieved.

But KODAK, AGFA, and FUJI also still offer hand-tuned color reproduction - which though subtle, is still much more accurate than using only automation.

It's up to you to decide how you view and are entertained by your video displays or projectors. But, make no mistake, a real human calibrator - with a wealth of test discs, signal generators, and measurement equipment (not an automated SPYDER), can almost always produce a more accurate, neutral, and realistic image than just about any automated system in use.

Is it worth $1 dollar per hour of your viewing time over a year to see better potential from your investment in Audio & Video, or is it worth $3 an hour, even $5 an hour for a premium calibration, say for a front projector?

It's up to you!

And then their is audio calibration!!!

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html

Last edited by The Kipnis Studios; 06-10-2008 at 08:11 PM..
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links