View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008   #14
graniterocks

Default Re: Coaxial versus Toslink/Optical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I disagree, most audiophiles I know prefer coaxial to optical. Yes, coax can get RFI, but optical (Toslink) has it's own troubles to deal with, now if you hat AT&T glass, that is a different story, but no one is using it outside of the super high end market and it is even fading their. HDMI is also prone to jitter, but it is what we will have to use for the new codecs so we are stuck..

If your receiver/pre/pro has HDMI and will decode the new audio formats or accepts MC PCM then you need to use HDMI to get the best audio....
I was told be the engineers at Arcam that they put a lot more money and engineering into their coax connection than they did their toslink and for that reason it should sound better. The toslink was basically a cheapy they included to be compatible with other equipment. They highly recommend using the digital coax connection.

As for my personal experience, I have done A/B tests to determine if there was a difference between AT&T tos and coax. I could not hear a difference between the glass toslink and the coax at least when I tried it. I can't say that I spent a lot of time with these comparisons.

I have experimented with the optical AT&T glass toslink cable (got them on eBay from a DIY guy several years ago, I wish I could get some more) vs the multi fiber plastics and could hear a difference between those cables. I preferred the glass toslink over the plastic. The differences were subtle, but they were there, better noise floor, better spacing and image stabilty
graniterocks is offline   Reply With Quote