View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008   #17
Lotus

Default Re: LCD VsDLP projectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredino View Post
Lotus, while I'm sure you take your proclamations from the mound seriously, it doesn't make
them so.
Right but your proclamations are gospel I suppose.

Quote:
A few examples of 1080P DLP projectors that sell for under $3000:

Optoma HD80
Infocus X10
BenQ W5000
Ok so "$2k range," means "under $3000," to you.

Quote:
Here is what my eyes tell me, and I don't need reviewers to help me see what I should see:
(Art from Projector Reviews is a nice guy, but not very technical)
I've never quoted Art from Projector Reviews. I based my opinion on my own tests. Plus what I've read from EVERYONE else.

Quote:
There is zero motion blur attributable to DLP chips, unlike all the LCD based displays.
There is zero rainbow effect atrributable to LCD.

Quote:
I've yet to see an SXRD or DILA projector that is as sharp as DLP single or 3 chip projectors.
You've likely yet to look. While the RS-2 might not be as sharp as many DLPs out there, it is sharp enough and combined with the contrast performance, etc. is amazing.

Quote:
All three chip, whether LCD/SXRD/DILA or DLP have convergence error. Correction circuits
cannot correct non-linear errors.
Is this error noticable on all these units? Should I take back my Runco? Please.

Quote:
Compare the ANSI contrast of the best DLP projectors to the SXRD or DILA projectors, DLP
can have an ANSI contrast of 600-800:1 vs. about 250-550:1 for the LCD based units.
The RS2 has higher ratings than that. Sorry.

Quote:
DLP projectors don' exhibit the highlight compression that LCD based projectors with auto
iris often exhibit, yielding a better mixed field contrast ratio.
Are the JVC units using an Auto Iris?

Quote:
The oversaturated, inaccurate primary and secondary colors of the RS-1 are well documented on the more technical sites and are not completely correctable, no matter
how experienced the ISF tech. It is also useless in anamorphic lens setups.
True it's useless in anamorphic setups, but the RS-2 is not. As to the rest of your statement I call BS. I've run my own tests, and the RS-1 is pretty accurate, and definitely one of the most accurate in its price range. It even comes out of the box more accurate than the competition. Most of the people complaining on those sites are people with a reason to bitch: they're generally dealers totally in bed with DLP.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I saw an RS-2 just last week and felt that it had fantastic blacks, a
very natural image, anybody would be happy with the projector. But it still didn't have
the three dimensional image and sharpness that good DLP projectors offer, IMO.

I rather like the fact that I can go to a commercial digital theater and watch a movie
displayed with DLP technology and then go home and get a similar experience. Your
idea of "filmlike" and mine are not the same--to me soft does not equal filmlike.
Right, but since my opinion seems to be shared by the majority of professionals I'll just learn to live with my opinion.

Quote:
You have your preferences, I have mine. I would never proclaim that one technology "is
out of the conversation". That just exudes a combination of arrogance and ignorance.
Arrogance? Maybe. Ignorance? Hardly.

I could just as easily call you arrogant, etc. for your DLP obsession. I stand by the fact that DLP is out of the conversation due to PRICE.

The 3 units you mentioned aren't good DLP units. Yet the $2,500 Epson is a GOOD LCD unit. To get the true benefits of DLP you have to spend too much money. As one poster here stated there is little reason to spend more than $2500.

The point of diminishing returns is easily that $2500 price point. While I personally believe the RS-2 is worth every extra penny, it isn't for everyone. Maybe things will change and DLP will get a nice projector under $3,000. Until then we just wait.

It isn't like I'm taking my Runco SC-1 back. Yet my use is not the norm.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote