View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008   #15
Lotus

Default Re: LCD VsDLP projectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheListeningRoom View Post
I would strongly advise against spending more than $2500 on a projector. I say this because over the last five years, we've seen such significant improvements in projector quality and technology that the best-reviewed models that sold for $7500 one year are typically inferior to the new models at half that price the following year.
This was surely the case early on in the DLP/LCOS development. There were 720p projectors that would blow away units that cost much more just the year before in PQ. I think that started to die down about 1 year ago in the LCOS side of things. On the DLP side we're still seeing massive improvements and at some point a 3chip DLP may be affordable.

The RS-1 for instance was $6500 when it was released. It has been a year. There isn't a $3250 unit out that is better than the RS-1. I don't think the Sony VW-50 is inferior to units half it's cost either. However the RS-1 can be bought as the HD-1 for $4500.

Quote:
At about $2500 street price you can get an exceptional 1080p HD model from a variety of manufacturers. And if in 3 years you want to upgrade, you can spend another $2500 and I'm confident it will be vastly superior to anything you can get for less than $10K today.
I'm not so sure about that. I think the industry has peaked on that particular curve. I think you're safe in assuming it will be superior to units that cost $5,000 today.

Quote:
One key feature to keep in mind about projectors is ease of placement. Zoom range, throw ratio, lens shift ability, etc. can make a huge difference in how easy it is to fit a projector in your specific space, so do remember to take this into consideration when evaluating models.
Right now the "champion," so to speak of the $2500 price group is the Epson Home Cinema 1080UB. That unit is extremely friendly when it comes to placement. This is a big issue, and knowing where you can place a unit, the size screen you desire can help eliminate a lot of choices in many circumstances.

Quote:
For screens, I don't have personal experience with the Goo screens, but I do really like the price/performance ratio of the DA-LITE and Draper screens. I find some of the cheaper brands to offer inferior quality, and the more expensive brands to not offer sufficient value for the price.
That pretty much is my opinion. However I have had experience with the Goo screens, and a well installed Goo Screen is a steal, a poorly installed Goo screen is a waste of money. Still, there are people who paint 2 or more screens a week on average out there in many markets. These guys have it down to a fine art. They can provide you an EXCEPTIONAL screen for $400 to $500. It won't have the professional look of an on-wall unit, but for budget shoppers it's an excellent option.

I fully agree though if you're going to go with a screen, Da-Lite and Draper have amazing price/performance ratios. Stewart Screens are the best. They are just over-priced. If price doesn't matter and all that matters is performance buy a Stewart.

Quote:
I would also advise ensuring you have enough money in your budget for quality audio gear. Sometimes people have a tendency to spend most of their money on video, and leave the audio part as an afterthought. But when you're replicating the movie theater experience at home, audio plays a huge part in conveying the emotional impact of movies. Balance your budget across both audio and video and you'll end up with a far more enjoyable system in the end.
Heck, double your budget on audio over your video. If you spend $3500 on video, spend $7000 on Audio. Make sure you consider accoustic treatments too. $1,000 well spent on treating your room can make it sound better than systems that cost over twice as much.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote