View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007   #3
jbk

Default Re: High Resolution Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Alright, since this is about high resolution music, I have an inquiry. The music I would like to see in this format, are the jazz and jazz fusion of the 70`s. Has anyone come across this music in high resolution?

Artists I`m talking about are, Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea, Al Dimeola, Return to Forever, Jean Luc Ponty, Herbie Han**** (albums Thrust, & Chameleon), The Crusaders, Bob James, Grover Washington Jr. George Benson, Hubert Laws, Bobbi Humphrey, Donald Byrd, The Blackbyrds, Dave Valentin, people like this.

You seem to always see the same classical and rock titles. Along with the standard fare of Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Monk, etc. cds.
But what about this group? Any fans out there in this genre, please chime in.

I think this goes back to our other topic of Top 100 bands. Jazz fusion and Jazz are niche markets for record labels and don't have a broad audience like the 60's and 70's bands. There is a larger audience for the reissues of popular rock than jazz in any case.

I haven't seen any releases on 180 gram or 200 vinyl or sacd of the groups or artist mentioned in the quote. How about the Mahavishnu Orchestra's Birds of Fire?

The reissues on 180 gr and 200 gr vinyl are the re-hash of the same rock and jazz albums everyone already has but continue to re-purchase in the pursuit of higher or better quality sound.

The only labels that I'm aware of making good recordings on music that I like on CD are Telarc, HeadsUp, Chesky and JVC XRCD.

In my experience, most music isn't high quality sound is because the public doesn't really demand high definiton or resolution sound. And, the record industry as a whole doesn't really care if they produce high quality recordings.

Because of this, it looks like SACD and DVD Audio are going to remain a niche market for classical and some jazz recordings. but I don't see record companies converting their catalogs to great extent these formats. And, I don't see any wholesale conversion rock to high resolution music.

Right now the music industry is too worried about people downloading music to their MP3 players and not paying them for the music. Don't forget that MP3 players aren't high resoluiton players. So we're training a whole couple of generations to accept low resolution quality music reproduction as a defacto standard.

So I'm going to rain on everyone's parade and predict that we won't get high resolution music for these or other groups. And, because Audiophiles and audiophile high resolution music are such a small percentage of the music and equipment market that we don't represent large enough market segment for the record companies to pursue.

JBK
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote