View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008   #1
Dr. Bernice

Unhappy System Advice, Please? Never Thought I'd Ask For Easy Listening, But

Really, I flip the dial real fast when it comes to Delilah or the like. But, after weeks of research, all I feel like I've discovered is I know even less than I thought when it comes to building a quality system for myself. I'm so ready for Easy Listening, or, at least rocking and rolling, made easy. Suggestions from you would be greatly appreciated.

First, I rarely watch TV, unless it's a concert dvd, so having to deal with 5+ speakers and placement of them is not a priority with me. But, I would like to have a receiver with surround capability, so as not to limit myself, should I change my mind in the near future. I would also like to have the latest technology, or, at least limit myself as little as possible. My system will live in a room approximately 20 x24, with walls that are 2 stories high. I would also like to be able to switch between my main audio speakers, and the surround speakers I will probably purchase eventually. And, lastly, if I could also switch to my hardwired outdoor speakers, my life would be a dream.

Secondly, I would like large, impressive floor speakers. I had a friend recommend Athena LS500's as a respectable pair, and it appears I can purchase them for around 300.00...that is, if the forum agrees with the suggestion.

From what I gather, I will probably need an amp, unless advised to the contrary.

I would like either a high capacity CD changer, or maybe a CD hard drive recorder would be cool, but this appears to be pricey. So, ok, for now, if I have to cut corners, I'd settle for, but not be thrilled with, a 5 disc cd player.

If the CD player mentioned isn't actually an DVD player, I imagine I'd probably like to have one of these as well.

In the near future, I'd also like to integrate the system into my network, and have the ability to do two things: wirelessly play digital music files from my laptops, and stream music from the living room to other rooms containing speakers (and whatever else may be required to do this.)

Finally, I'd like to mention, if some of my desires cause my primary components' costs to soar through the ceiling, I don't mind having to purchase some little extra gadgets here and there, as long as my sound isn't adversely affected.

I really want Large, Loud, Ass Whipping Easy Listening!! And I want heavenly sound quality.

Would you please suggest the ingredients to make this happen? I know, I'm going to get what I am able to pay for. I'd be thrilled to spend 2 thousand, kind of queasy over 3K, and pretty uncomfortable approaching the 4 mark. So, I realize I'm going to have to balance my dreams with my checking balance.

Thank you for your help, and for your patience and understanding... I'm just a girl with ADD, Audio Deficit Disorder.

Thanks
Kristen

Hey! Check out my current system....remember "one of these things is not like the other?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nodiophile 001 Large Web view.jpg (87.2 KB, 11 views)
Dr. Bernice is offline   Reply With Quote