View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008   #38
nedrudrelyt

Default Re: Dispelling audio myths, the cable lie

I always find it funny how people have quirky ways of justifying purchases.

"Why don't you buy a new car instead of $20,000 on a stereo?"

"I'd rather go to Fiji"...than buy quality cables for my system...

I have an audiophile friend who's wife comes down hard on him for his hobby but it's all good when she wants a new pair of $400 dollar shoes. And I swear she has $18,000 worth of them...

Even the best cars break down after 5 years...a trip to Fiji may last 1-2 weeks at best but a good stereo investment should last and provide close to 20 years of trouble-free entertainment. I kind of like the price/return on the stereo investment...

But Wes is right and it is to each their own. Not right on the math thing however...

But please people, do not use math as gospel. The proof is in the listening.

I totally agree that the data/info that reaches the speakers can make/break a product. Mathematically assuming that one cable company can't make a better product because the numbers don't allow it well...we all know what assuming does.

Do you need to spend $10,000 on speaker cables? No. The law of diminishing returns is higher in the cable world than it probably is in the high end audio domain but there are incremental increases as per price point. Sometimes, you do get what you pay for. How can these companies that put millions into R&D stay alive if they don't physically provide a better product. Sure, price is in question but jeez.

Please spend some time listening before you jump on the latest and greatest internet $50 "do it yourself" interconnect. I think people would be quite amazed if they would just put down the iPod...and listen.
nedrudrelyt is offline   Reply With Quote