View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008   #5
kal

Default Re: Guide to: GREYSCALE CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES

Hi Kevin,

You're right! The Spyder2 is a junk. I state so in my guide as I DO NOT recommend the Spyder2 at all.

You don't seem to have read my guide.

In fact I warn people NOT to buy it for the exact reasons you stated. See the initial "what tools do I need" section and Appendix A where I compare the $60 Spyder2 to the $150 Eye-One. The Eye-One is recommended by authors of professional calibration software as well as some of the top professional calibrators in the world (who own the Photo Research PR 650 and other similar expensive calibration tools) for DIY enthusiasts as the lowest price reliable/accurate colorimeter.

The Spyder2 is $60 USD as well (not $250). It hasn't cost $250 in over 3-4 years now.

As I state in my guide, tests done by many experts on dozens of samples of Spyder2 colorimeters have found that 1/3 are accurate, 1/3 are so-so, and the last 1/3 are unusable. Taking your chances like this is with a Spyder2 is something people should *not* be doing if they want to spend time to do colour calibration correctly. The Spyder2 is only included in my step-by-step procedures as so many people already own them. I clearly state the caveats however and instead push the Eye-One probe as the best reasonable option for home users to get very close to accurate readings.

To read how/why the Eye-One is recommended and how it compares to some of the more expensive tools out there, spend some time on largest calibration forum in the world: The AVS forum "Display Calibrations" forum where authors of professional calibration software as well as some of the top professional calibrators spend some of their time.

I recommend that people consider hiring a professional, but an educated consumer is a smarter consumer: Spending $150 and learning the ins and outs of calibration (even only at a high level) creates a smart consumer and helps week out the 'fly by night' calibrators who do a disservice to people like yourself in the industry. It gives the consumer a better appreciation as to what the experts do, and positions them to ask smart questions when shopping for a calibrator. If I had a nickel for every person who called themselves a "calibrator" just because they paid the fee to take the ISF course, I'd be a rich man. As you're aware: The ISF courses do not make someone a calibration expert - experience does.

Kal

Last edited by kal; 05-18-2008 at 07:44 PM..
kal is offline   Reply With Quote