View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008   #31
kennyt

Default Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market Do You Really Need Them?

OK, I had to leave for a conference, but to finish off my thoughts...

We are all worried about getting Deep Color, but we have no idea when the software (movies) will come out with it, and by then who knows what will happen to the rest of the AV world, we could be using HDMI 6.8c by then!

This harps back to my confusion as to what we need in a pre/pro nowadays, and how long do we really expect them to stay current???

Genrally we can all agree the pre/pro is a key component is the AV system, but it also is one of the most expensive and most rapidly outdated, making it a huge loss leader in all our systems.... My amps will be good for years, speakers are the same, sources change, but a great CD player is still going to be an excellent CD player in five years, you 'newest' AV preamp, no matter how much you spend on it, may be a shiny doorstop by then!

Do we all buy the Integra and not worry when it drops in value as we only spent ~$1,400 on it or do we drop $30K on the new ML 502 knowing it has a great analog section and will do double time as an audiophile two channel preamp as well????

I don't know, so for now, I bought the Denon and I will be as 'current' as possible, for whatever that means, until the dust settles........
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote