View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008   #19
kennyt

Default Re: ML 502 Media Console

I just want a standard so everyone is on the same page.

It SEEMS like it will be decoding the bitstream in the receiver, but only a few pre/pro's allow this to date, so does that make all the other ones that handle MC PCM obsolete? In some ways yes, in some no. I have had many long talks with Jerry Del Colliano about just this issue as we both no longer have our beloved Meridian 861v4's and we really want to replace them, but with what?

I have gone through many pre/pro's in my day, and have several truly great ones lined up to review in the not too distant future, but I don't know when the high end market will catch up with the rapid changes going on in the business right now. I feel it is a good time to sit back and see what comes down the pike. Andrew Robinson bought the Integra DTC 9.8 so he could have all the new codecs and is loving it, I personally bought the Denon AVP-A1HDCi without ever hearing it, and will be putting it through it's paces here very shortly in a feature review.

Is it time to buy something reasonably affordable (insert your amount here) and live with it until all the craziness settles out?

Will it ever fully settle out like the olden days of DD and DTS, or really old days of two channel only? Doubtful, but we'll have to wait and see!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote