View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008   #28
fitzcaraldo215

Default Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market Do You Really Need Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I think it all depends, some have had issue with the Integra from what I've read, I know Andrew loves his and is very happy with it. I personally sold my Meridian 861v4 for the Denon AVP-A1HDCi as I am a tech junkie and want, nay need all the new goodies and codecs, but will I be as happy with it???

Right now I can't say, I haven't been home for a few weeks to try it out. Hopefully I will be, but it has some pretty big shoes to fill!!!

I for one want all the new codecs, and am waiting for the high end companies to come out with all these features AND great audio!

Well, the Denon might be even better than the Integra. I have never heard the Denon. I also have not seen any negative reports on the Integra. Can you direct me to some? The only major glitch I am aware of is that it blanks out the sound for about a half second when you start playing a hi-rez source. I also do not think that analog input to the Integra - phono, in my case - is world class. It's decent enough, though. Other than that there are nothing but positive reviews all over the web, forums, magazines, etc. Several reviewers considered it comparable to an Anthem D2, but with HDMI 1.3 support and Audyssey.

My bias is using it as a multichannel music system. Video is a bonus, but I do not watch all that much. From personal experience, all I can tell you is that I am currently getting the finest reproduced sound I have ever heard anywhere from the Integra plus an Oppo 980H using HDMI with SACD's and DVD-A's. (No 7.1 channel sources yet.) I do not have much experience with other multichannel systems, other than those I auditioned before making my Integra purchase sight unseen (Theta, Classe, Anthem, Meridian and a few others). The 2-channel equipment I chucked cost about 8 times as much and is very high end. I won't reveal the names, because they are not sold yet. I was going to keep the 2 channel gear and marry it to the multichannel system. My 2 channel line stage has a unity gain input, so this was doable. For what it's worth, the same line stage as mine has been in John Atkinson's (Stereophile's Editor in Chief) system for quite a few years. But, the sound of the Integra convinced me I do not need to keep the much more expensive stuff. It simply kills 2-channel, and I have heard many of the very, very finest stereo systems out there in good rooms. So, for the first time in my 40-years as an audiophile, I am able to do a tremendous sonic upgrade and make a handsome profit.
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote