View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008   #27
fitzcaraldo215

Default Re: Audyssey Announces Dynamic Volume

Rives is a terriffic company from all I hear, and if I could afford it, I would do the same with new construction. But, guess what: Rives uses treatments plus equalization, however their equalizer only deals with bass frequencies. Standard Audyssey does mid frequencies, as well. With Audyssey Pro, mid-range equalization is selectable on/of. Both Audyssey or Rives have their strengths and weaknesses and limits to how much they can really do in each individual situation, and neither, of couse, is perfect. Nothing is.

Full Rives consultation does not come cheap, but I do not beleve there are any cheap solutions out there to the difficult problem of room correction, except for Audyssey already built into a receiver or pre-pro. Perhaps Rives alone is sufficient. Or, maybe Audyssey can further improve a full Rives treatment, who knows? But, I much prefer equalization (which is always digital these days) were the signal remains in the digital domain from source through pre-pro and equalizer. Rives' equalizer is analog input, as is the Audyssey stand-alone. So, possibly Audyssey equalization bult into my pre-pro with a Rives treated room would be the creme-de-la-creme.
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote