Originally Posted by kennyt
Let's see, how many pre/pro's have I owned in the last few years.... I think I've had seven in the past five years go through my system, one was for review....
Talk about the upgrading bug, I wished I had that kind of money to buy 7 Pre/pro in five years, taht is one every 10 months. Unless you own a CE store or get them for free that is an expensive hobbie.
I usually change my equipment every seven to ten years only after major new technologies are making an exponential difference, such as HDMi 1.3 DD true HD and DTS-Master Audio.
I resisted making upgrades until HDMi 1.3 came and avoided to buy new equipment with all these versions of HDMi:
The initial HDMI 1.0 specification was released in December 2002. DVD
Version 1.1 was released in May 2004.
Version 1.2 was released in August of 2005.
Version 1.2a was released in December of 2005.
Version 1.3 was released in June of 2006.
Version 1.3a was released in June of 2007
Version 1.3b was released in January of 2008
At least now HDMi 1.3 has support for
* Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps)
* Deep Color: HDMI 1.3 supports 10-bit, 12-bit and 16-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths,
* Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 adds support for “x.v.Color™”
* New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders
* Lip Sync: enhance the clarity and detail, synchronization of video and audio
* New HD lossless audio formats: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™.
This should last an other ten years. I don't see how they can improve in sound quality beside digital and studio master uncompressed audio! Of course once they can do all that wirelessly and retain the quality then I might consider upgrading until then I am waiting for Classé to release the SSP-800 and hope it lives up to the promises or I will buy the Denon AVP1