View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008   #10
oscar_in_fw

Default Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market Do You Really Need Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliFan View Post
It seems that we may have a possiblility of simplification and standardization with the new HDMI 1.3 spec. I'm waiting for a true universal player - one that playes all disk formats CD, Divix, CDR, DVD, DVDR, SACD, DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray, (OK you can dump HD-DVD). And sends all output via bitstream over HDMI 1.3. No need for any DAC in the player anymore - just get the bits off the disc. Also only 1 cable out makes things much cleaner. (Sort or like the latest Oppo player but with Blu-ray).

Then let the pre-pro/receiver do the decoding, room correction, bass management, upconversion, upsampling work still in the digital domain. Then only one D-to-A conversion in the final step (here's where the high end audiophile companies can differentiate. I'd like to see an Integra-like pre-pro from an audiophile-cred company).

Seems like we have the potential for a simpler yet better sounding/viewing systems.

P.S. Media/music server should also send their output bitstream via HDMI 1.3. They can then concentrate on storage and software and not worry about analog conversions-output.
The only drawback is if you are "stuck" with a non-HDMI solution which includes a high quality multichannel analog preamp/switcher. In which case I might want to have the source player(s) do the internal decoding and output on the (balanced?) multichannel analog outputs. I may be looking at >$10K to get an HDMI 1.3 pre/pro with a preamp stage within striking distance of the one I've already got (that's just a guess since I'm not aware of an HDMI 1.3-compliant pre/pro yet).
oscar_in_fw is offline   Reply With Quote