View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008   #28
Gerben Van Duyl

Default Re: Proper screen size for best quality picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
I am in the process of designing a new home and want to have a dedicated music/home theater room. Can you make recommendation in terms of size and building!

I was thinking 18 x 20 x 10
With the benefit of not having seen your plans, I can just give you ideal sizes: Based on the 18' width, the length should be 22' or 24' if you plan to build in a baffle wall. Height should be 14.4' if you can get away with it. Non parallel walls would be ideal, just studs with two layer plaster board, acoustic quality. Suspended ceiling with bass trap material on top of the tiles. Corner bass traps, absorbers in front 1/3 of room and diffusers in back 2/3 of the room. So far all of this is cheap, standard building materials, just applied correctly. The result is amazing though!

Then a screen, speakers, pj, chairs and you're in business! (This is the expensive bit!)

Sweet spot will be at 13.6' and screen should be 11.4' wide. Will seat 8 comfortably, 12 at a push. My favourite chairs are here: http://figueras.com/figueras/actionS...g=EN&segment=8 Don't know who sells these in the US.

If you want I can draw you up a plan for your architect and AV installer, but it would be at a (modest) fee.

Regards, Gerben.
Gerben Van Duyl is offline   Reply With Quote