View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008   #29
gstarr

Default Re: Are Plasma TV's On Their Way Out?

"I don`t know if i like the fact that Pioneer will no longer be making their own displays."

Panasonic will be makingthe Pioneer and Pioneer Elite plasma glass to Pioneer's specifications and probably be using their technology. Pioneer will continue to keep private their internal electronics and processing, so their is little to worry about. They will also be buying buying the latest Sharp LCD panels to mate with their internal processing and electronics, so I wouldn't worry about Pioneer's continued expertise in these areas.

Pioneer and Pioneer Elite will continue developing new and excellent A/V receivers, along with their new top of the line Pioneer Elite SC-09TX. With the great Marvell QDEO de-inlerlacing, scaling, mosquito noise processing, and other advantages it should be at the top of the heap of expensive receivers--not to forget about their new ICE digital amplification (developed with Bang and Olufsen).

While I expect OLED to be great, it will be quite a while before OLED's are truly Home Theatre apllicable, withsizes over 42" to 70"--andthe prices will make the best Pioneer Elite's look cheap. It will take years before the prices come down to what even the above average income person will pay for them. I would hardly call a 31" OLED a suitable home theatre size. And you can bet it will be priced as if it were morethan Pioneer Elite Kuro 60" plasma. It will take quite some time before the size and pricing comes down. Heck, Sony's 11" OLED costs $2,500--and who wants to spend that on a screen that is smaller than most laptops.

Greg
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote