View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008   #1
iggy

Default 70" SXRD with a story - Need some help...

ok....

here we go...

i have a Sony KDS-R70XBR2 70" SXRD

i was very luckey to find the very last one in the twin cities...

my 62' rca died newyears day - i logged into sony style to check out when the 'new' version of the sony sxrds would be out...

i had been admiring these sets from day one...

i was shocked to see them no longer on the sony site...

i called ultimate electronics close to my home - talked to my sales guy there - said they had been 'discontinued'

WOW - i was shocked - i was waiting for the 'new one' they told me in july a new version would be out and more 'affordable' as there was no way i could pay 6000.00 for a TV...

they told me that they were sold out...

i drove over to the nearby best buy - same story gone - they said - we have one in 'eden prarie' - i speed like a mad man out there - i get there and am told -- gosh we just sold the very last one... sorry

i ask - how much was it - thinking ooh well.. i could never afford this...

3900.00 with the 500.00 stand -- bingo - light bulb goes off

i drive back to ultimate as i know they have the price beater policy - best buy shows more at one other location in town - but i am pretty sure they are gone there as well-

we find the very last one in the ultimate system at another location in town - i call the store manger - tell him of the best buy offer on the 'close out tv' ask him if he will match the price'

he said yes....

the rest it history....

i was very dissapointed with my ability to setup and calibrate the set

upon advise of many in town i ordered the dvd 'digital video essentials' HD basics - had to wait 2 months for the disk

this disk does cover just what it says 'basics' -

it is clear i need much more....

i am seeing alot of grain - especially in directTV - almost as if everything was shot at very hi gain

in blue ray there is a huge improvemet - but i can see i can get much more out of this set...

it was interesting to see - a portion of the picture is beyond the horizontal screen...

after owning for 3 months - the bulb replace indicator is on - this set was the store demo -

i did buy the extended 4 year warrenty....

thoughts on how to get the very best image out of this set?

what should i expect?

in using the blur -red - green - filter - i could not get green to come within bounds... for instance

and there was no detail to help set and advanced controls or white balance other that the suggestion to use 'cool'

many thanks

iggy
iggy is offline   Reply With Quote