View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008   #4
kal

Default Re: Kal's Home Theater & Bar! (Lots 'o pics)

Thanks Ken!

While the Acurus stuff has served me well, I'm looking at upgrading the electronics and will likely be replacing it with an Anthem Statement D2 as the preamp/processor (with the excellent Gennum VXP processsor), along with their P2 and P5 amps to go 7.1 (a couple of extra Paradigm Signature ADP's needed then...). It never ends.

The one thing I'm still completely happy with is the Zenith 1200 (aka rebadged Barco Cine 8 Onyx) CRT projector. I prefer it to every latest and greatest digital (including the JVC RS1/RS2) under $20K that I've had the chance of seeing. Eventually the higher end digitals will come down in price, but for me coming from high end CRT, it's just not there yet. I'm not the only one it seems: I was emailing with Gary Reber (Editor-in-Chief and Publisher of Widescreen Review) recently about the CRT projectors they use in their two reference theaters - A Sony G90 and a Runco 1200 (rebadged Barco Cine9). He had this to say:

"We love our 9-inch CRT projectors, even though we have our pick of the leading edge D-ILA, SXRD, and DLP projectors, which we also have on-hand at Widescreen Review. We are installing a factory-new Sony VPH-G90 this Friday and over the weekend, as a replacement for our broken one."

I don't have the room for a Barco Cine9 (throw distance issue and people bumping their heads in the second row), but I'd love to see one in action!

I tell ya, home theater is a (very expensive!) disease!

Kal

Last edited by kal; 03-27-2008 at 07:31 AM..
kal is offline   Reply With Quote