View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008   #25
kennyt

Default Re: Sony BDP-S350 & BDP-S550

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Do you have any links to your tests Ken? Assuming that no digital processing (mosquito noise, gamma curve adjustment, etc.) is done, I'm a bit confused as to how one players can look or sound any different in Blu-ray playback if all they're used for is a digital transport to output video over HDMI and audio via bitstream (ie: video taken directly off disc at 1080p/24 and no internal decoding of audio).

Or maybe you're not talking about Blu-ray playback but DVD upscaling? Or about bad edits/poorly flagged discs?

Kal
Kal,

I have had Sony BDP-S1, Samsung BDP-1000, BDP-1200, PS3 and personally A-B'd the stand alones to the PS3, all were wired identically with Monster M1000 HDMI cables from played to Meridian HDMax 421 switcher to my display (70" Sony SXRD 1080p (not 24p though). The PS3 was obviously wired via optical to my Meridian 861v4 while each of the standalones were wired via coaxial.

I own and had a rental copy of Spiderman 3 so each player had the same disk in it for the tests. There was no comparison. Each of the standalones had better color, edge detail and contrast, the bass was weak at best from the PS3 when compared to standalones.

FWIW I never did any comparisons with SD DVD's.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote